My name is Allyson. I have recently started a new adventure. I got married to the most amazing man!! The Lord continues to teach and mold me in every area and time of life I'm in. If you are viewing this you probably know me. If not I hope you come to know the Christ, the one that is the Source of all Life, and the reason I do everything. I hope you enjoy. Phil. 1:20-21
Sunday, October 12, 2008
You Know you are in Asia when...
So, I'm in Shanghai and I definitely know I'm in Asia. I walked out of the airport to get a taxi to my hotel when a man said taxi! This is not completely abnormal in my experience traveling a lot of time guys like that call the drivers, so I said yes handed him my paper of where I needed to go and started following him. We started to walk not towards the line for all the taxi, where the signs said to go, and he started talking about cheap. First warning sign. He also said about 15min, and cheap. I asked him where he was going and he pointed and walked toward the parking lot, and yes that was away from where I knew the ligit taxi's where, second warning sign. I of course stopped walking, and said there are no taxi's over there. "Yes, cheap" He was not wanting me to turn around, I said where and how much. Then he kept saying American money, Chinese money cheap no matter, about 1 hour probably 380 CNY, 3rd sign it went from being 15 min and cheap to an hour. Now I know that the exchange rate is pretty good for me, but I can also tell when someone is trying to cheat me. So I grabbed my paper out of his hand because he was not giving it back to me when I motioned for it, and turned around to go to the actual taxi line. As I was walking he had already gotten a different customer. Now I'm in my hotel after a wonderful taxi ride that was 150 CNY.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thus the expression, "shanghaied." Praying for a safe trip for you, Allyson.
Karen Scrima
Way to go sis! I'm glad you made it.
Post a Comment